I might actually keep an eye here now. RT iPhone app FTW!
8 years agoskylock
9 years agoskylock
I'm in LA for work this week, and next week, and the week after that. I'm still a contractor, so while I have no guarantee of work after these three weeks, I am getting a contractor's extended pay, plus overtime, plus expensing the shit out of everything including my $8 whiskey presbyterians at the hotel bar.
I'm in the Marina Del Rey / Culver City area without a car... anyone in the LA area have any advice on stuff to do?
9 years agoskylock
I'm putting together a mix CD of some of the greatest songs ever to be played during montages in movies released in the 1980s... a.k.a. "The 80's Movie Montage Soundtrack Megamix" or something.
I have a bunch so far, I just need good ideas of songs I haven't gotten down here yet. These are the rules I'm going by:
- Movie had to be released between 1980-1989
- Song in question should be played over a describable montage... not just appear on the soundtrack, or just over the credits, etc
Here's what I've got so far:
"Gonna Fly Now" by Bill Conti - Mr. Mom, 1983 - Getting Cleaned Up / In Shape Montage
"Heart's On Fire" by John Cafferty - Rocky IV, 1985 - Training In Russia Montage
"Stir It Up" by Patti LaBelle - Beverly Hills Cop, 1984 - Arriving In Beverly Hills Montage
"One Foot In Front Of The Other" by Bone Symphony - Revenge of the Nerds, 1984 - Preparing For The Tri-Lambda Party Montage
"The Secret of My Success" by Night Ranger - The Secret of My Success, 1987 - Arriving in New York City Montage
"You're The Best" by Joe Esposito - The Karate Kid, 1984 - The Tournament Montage
"Turning Around" by Jimmy Buffett - Summer Rental, 1985 - Fixing Up The Boat Montage
"We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister - Iron Eagle, 1986 - Getting The Plan Together Montage
"Winner Takes It All" by Sammy Hagar - Over The Top, 1987 - The Tournament Montage
"Playing With the Boys" by Kenny Loggins - Top Gun, 1986 - The Volleyball Montage
Who's got more ideas?
EDIT - Added:
"Let's Hear It For The Boy" by Deniece Williams - Footloose, 1984 - Teaching Chris Penn How To Dance Montage
So I was watching Bull Durham last night and decided I wanted to put together a team... five starters, a closer, eight fielders, a DH... made up solely of fictional characters from baseball movies.
The key is fictional. Movies like Field of Dreams and Eight Men Out are great, but deal with real baseball players. I need help, though... here's what I've come up with so far:
SP: Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh (Bull Durham)
SP: Henry Rowengartner (Rookie of the Year)
SP: Eddie Harris (Major League)
SP: Chet "Rocket" Steadman (Rookie of the Year)
CL: Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughan (Major League)
C: Crash Davis (Bull Durham)
1B: Jack Parkman (Major League II)
2B: Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez (The Sandlot)
3B: Roger Dorn (Major League)
LF: Pedro Cerrano (Major League)
CF: Willie Mays Hayes (Major League)
RF: Roy Hobbs (The Natural)
DH: Jake Taylor (Major League)
Can anyone help me with another starter, and can anyone think of a character from these films who we know both the first-and-last names of that played shortstop?
Step Two, after these are decided, will be to make up all the players in MLB 2k8 and create my own team of them. That should be fun!
10 years agoskylock
So now that I will be un/self-employed again as of, like, 5pm pst today, I need work.
Luckily, I have a contract job brewing that could have me working out of the house for about 2-3 months and earning what just a year ago was a whole year's salary. As a legitimizing effort, I will be registering a DBA name with the State of California on Monday... perhaps, forevermore, working for myself.
My new company name?
Oh, it's good... which probably means most of you will hate/rag it...
Hot Stove Software.
10 years agoskylock
Jenga asked, via comment, where the shit I been at (or something, I'm paraphrasing)...
2) Lamenting the end of the 2008 baseball season and looking forward to the start of the 2009 baseball season
3) Being in two weddings (once as best man, once as groomsman) in October
4) In Tahoe, briefly, and planning trips to Carmel, Mendocino, Disneyland and Palm Springs for the next few months
5) Getting fired from Yardbarker and catching on via contract at Razorfish
6) Buying a 7.5' pre-lit fake Christmas tree and having it up and decorated before Thanksgiving
7) Sucking ass at fantasy football...
8) ...except in Yahoo Survival Pick'Em, where I am still alive with a 13-week active streak (and am hoping for the Colts to continue the horrors that have befallen Cincy all season long next week)
9) Not noticing the myriad facelifts here
10) I migrated all my websites from their shared hosting solution to a VPS. This makes me happy
11) I discovered GPA (Gross Production Average) and find it so superior to OPS it is now my quicky go-to batting stat. Already using it and the 2009 Marcel projections to make keeper decisions for next year
11a) ((OBP * 1.8) + SLG) / 4 = GPA .... (it's on a BA scale... .200 sucks, .260 is average, .300 is awesome)
I'll probably go back into hiding now...
No questions have been answered yet