Hi RTX Austin 2018 Attendees,
We are very excited to see you at RTX Austin 2018! We know this will be another great year together and we have a lot of fun activities in store.
The most important part of RTX is always safety. We want to ensure that all of our attendees, guardians, special guests, exhibitors, and staff are safe at all times. We have implemented a new security plan for RTX weekend, so please read everything to ensure you understand what is expected.
There are four (4) security checkpoints at RTX and all checkpoints will accept all badge types. There are 2 different lines at each checkpoint; the Fast Pass line is denoted on the attached map with a Pink triangle and the Regular line is denoted on the attached map with a Green triangle. When you arrive at RTX, look for a pink flag at each checkpoint to enter the Fast Pass Line, or look for a green flag at each checkpoint to enter the Regular Line. Guardians will be on hand to assist you with finding the proper line for your badge type.
FAST PASS LINE - Platinum badge holders
REGULAR LINE - Weekend PLUS / Weekend / Daily badge holders
*Anyone requiring ADA access can use the FAST PASS LINE, along with their caregiver, no matter what type of badge you have.
*All Security Checkpoints will be staffed with Licensed Police Officers, walk-through metal detectors, bag checkers, and wanders.
Please reference the below security map for checkpoint locations and operating hours. Please note, for evening events (Let’s Play Live, Theater Mode Live, or On The Spot Live panel) there is a specific checkpoint you must use to enter the convention center per the specific evening operating hours (please reference the attached map for evening operating hours).
DO’S & DON’TS
Do wear your badge visibly at all times. You cannot get into RTX without it. Lose your badge? Sorry, but RTX will not replace it. Treat it like cash.
Do listen to the Guardians to ensure you are in the correct line. Pink Fast Pass or Green Regular line - it’s that simple!
Do prepare your belongings as you approach the walk-through metal detectors so that you can get through security as quickly as possible.
Don’t bring any weapons. RTX is an all-weapons-free event. This means both illegal weapons and licensed to carry weapons are prohibited at all times. BUT - If you have a cosplay weapon, you must visit the Weapons Check station across from Registration in the Solar Atrium of the ACC to get it approved.
Don’t try to cut the lines as you will be asked to leave.
Don’t bring large bags as these will cause longer waits.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (revised as of 7/18)
1. Where do I pick-up my attendee bag? *Two answers: 1) If you are picking up your bag on Thursday, enter one of the security checkpoints and go to Exhibit Hall 2 to pick-up your bag 9:45 AM - 5:30 PM. 2) If you are picking up your bag on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, enter one of the security checkpoints and go to Registration located in the Solar Atrium to pick-up your bag.
2. If I need to pick-up my badge onsite, what do I do? *You will need to go to one of the security checkpoints and show your confirmation email (either printed or electronically) and a valid photo I.D. You must show both the confirmation email AND valid photo I.D to clear the checkpoint. You can get your badge at Registration located in the Solar Atrium.
3. I have a medical disability. Where should I go for my medical sticker? *Please use the Fast Pass (pink) line at any of the 4 security checkpoints and go to Registration in the Solar Atrium to pick-up you sticker. You may have one caregiver accompany you throughout RTX regardless of what badge type they have.
4. If I leave the Austin Convention Center for lunch, or to attend a panel at another hotel, will I have to go back through security to enter? Yes, everyone entering the ACC will have to go through the security checkpoint.
5. How long will the wait times be each morning? While we cannot give you an exact expected wait time, we highly encourage you to not bring large bags (bigger than 12”x12”) when possible and to be prepared as you get to the front of the security checkpoint. We also recommend you check out the Animation Festival at the JW Marriott for early morning panels and then head to the Austin Convention Center mid-day.
6. How many metal detectors will there be this year? Across all four checkpoints, there will be 15 total metal detectors.
7. Can I bring in food and/or beverages to the Austin Convention Center? **FOOD: While ACC staff reserve the right to refuse entry to any outside food, we do not anticipate issues with small amounts of pre-packaged snacks such as granola bars or protein bars. This should also allow people with strict dietary restrictions to keep a small amount of appropriate food on hand, including those with medical conditions. **WATER: You may bring in an EMPTY water bottle. Water will be available while waiting in the queues each morning at the ACC at all four checkpoints. We encourage you to hydrate while waiting to get into the ACC, however once you get to the front of the security line, you will be asked to either dump out the remaining water or drink it. Once inside, there will be water coolers/bubblers in every panel room and throughout the ACC.
8. Are there Mother’s rooms available at the ACC? Yes, there are two (2) Mother’s Rooms in the Austin Convention Center. One is located on the first floor near Room 1 along Cesar Chavez St. The other is located on the third floor across from Room 10C.
9. Will I be able to purchase food and beverage inside the ACC? There will be 4 operating concession stands each day: 1) Built-in coffee stand between Exhibit Hall 4 & 5. 2) Cafe in the Solar Atrium. 3) Large Cafe in the Exhibit Hall. 4) Small Cafe Built-In outside Ballroom A.
10. What will the security check entail once I get to the front of the line? Once you arrive at the metal detectors, you will be asked to remove your bags/purses/etc. and remove everything from your pockets. A bag checker will inspect your bags and you will be asked to walk through the metal detector. Once you have been cleared, you may retrieve your items. If the metal detector is alarmed, a wander will provide a second search of yourself and belongings.
11. What should I expect from the weather while waiting to get through a security checkpoint at the ACC? Looking at past weather averages for Austin in August, we anticipate temperatures to be in the high 70’s/low 80’s between 7:00AM and 10:00AM. Most of the checkpoints are under covered awnings. We also encourage you to wear hats, sunglasses, and wear sunscreen throughout RTX weekend.
12. Why is RTX adding so much security this year? The most important part of RTX is always safety. We want to ensure that all of our attendees, Guardians, special guests, exhibitors, and staff are safe at all times. Please be respectful to all security, Guardians, and RTX Staff as we are here to help you have a fun and safe weekend.
13. I am cosplaying and have a weapon as part of my cosplay. Where is Weapons Check located? Weapons Check is located across from Registration in the Solar Atrium. Approved weapons will be tagged for the duration of the event. If the tag is removed, you must revisit the Weapons Check desk each day for a new tag.
14. I will be cosplaying at RTX and do not want to wait outside in my cosplay. What are my options? You must go through a security checkpoint like every attendee, and then you may head to Meeting Room 1 to change into your cosplay. We have designated a cosplay dressing room at the ACC: Meeting Room 1 on level one near Exhibit Hall 1/Palazzo (at the corner of Cesar Chavez and Trinity street). There will be a Guardian on staff to assist. Please note that this dressing room is NOT for storage purposes. We cannot hold onto your belongings throughout the day and you will be responsible for cosplay.
15. Can I refuse to be screened by security personnel? Yes, it is your choice to do so, but unfortunately if you refuse to go through a walk through metal detector, you will not be allowed in to RTX. If you refuse, a Licensed Police Office will ask you to leave. If you cause a disturbance of any sort, Austin Police Department will be called. Anyone requiring ADA access can enter at any of the four checkpoints, as all have ADA entrances. If expectant mothers do not want to go through the walk through metal detector for screening, you may enter the ADA entrance and be wanded/bag checked.
16. Will there be a parents lounge/rest area at RTX? There will not be a space within the Austin Convention Center, but we will have a location at the Hilton where parents can sit and wait for their children.
17. What types of gifts ARE and ARE NOT allowed to bring to talent and RT staff? This year, we will not allow you to bring any open foods or beverages into the Austin Convention Center, this includes any alcohol. You also cannot bring any weapons, including Licensed to Carry. Additional prohibited items are illegal substances, weapons, firearms, explosives, flammables, knives, sharp objects, pepper spray, or mace. If you bring any items from the prohibited list (including food and beverages) it will be confiscated.
Please let us know if you have any questions.